Sunday, May 2, 2010

may 2nd...andy and dolly become domesticated


Current mood:  loved
..............
It’s been a whirlwind romance for me. Nearly 10 months now. How time flies when you are changing your life! Switch is an unexpected love and one that turned my world upside down. I wasn’t looking for him initially but I feel like perhaps I’ve been waiting all my life for him. Sounds so cliché and idealistic. We all know the romantic side of loving someone has a short life span and then daily life and an everyday love consumes you. It’s inevitable that you become “human” to one another and lose a bit of spark along the way. It’s cyclical and some may say pessimistic, but I don’t look at it that way.
When I went on my little Vegas Vacation with Switch, I was pleasantly surprised by many things. One, the fact that I could sit next to this man on a plane for 4 hours and not be annoyed with him in any way. This is huge for me since most folks annoy the snot out of me after a short period of time. He has no nervous habits or fidgety ticks, he has excellent table manners, he makes me laugh until I think I’ll pee myself and is just plain old likable. Another thing that struck me on our trip was the fact that I could talk to him for hours about, well, life or we could say nothing at all to each other and feel just as connected. Honestly, I had no problem doing the normal, everyday things with him. I feel like I finally have a worthy equal.
Since we returned home, it has been somewhat of a “domestic” romance. We make the occasional trip to the grocery store, Target, a stop here, a stop there, all the things that other couples do. Granted, we are still anything but an everyday normal couple who are set in our ways. All you have to do is get me talking about him or just thinking of him and there’s a twinkle in my eye that is undeniable. It is written all over my face. I am indeed in the throws of an incredibly passionate love affair and he literally makes me swoon sometimes! 
We have a ritual of going out and eating French-fucking-toast on Friday mornings. It’s just what we do. Different diners, different pancake houses, you name it, we will try it. Not sure when exactly it started but every week I look forward to French toast Fridays with Switch. This week was the first time either of us realized, or at least spoke of, the fact that we have a pattern established. Like an old couple who do the same thing over and over. We have French toast.
So we sat laughing and talking like we always do over yummy breakfast and coffee when the subject of his granddad and his lady friend came up. We like to call them Andy Griffith and Dolly Parton since granddad loves Andy Griffith and his little lady, well, reminds us of Dolly Parton. No lie. They are both 82, have been in an affair for god knows how long and they are a fucking trip! Not sure which one of us said it first but we were both thinking it….Switch is my Andy and I’m his Dolly. Jokingly of course but to compare ourselves to these old fools is amusing.
For the remainder of that morning, last night and even today I have been referring to him as such with a giggle every time. And this weekend was filled with all sorts of domestic normalcies that I would otherwise take for granted. The mundane didn’t seem so mundane with him by my side. We have breakfast, watch TV, I crochet (yes, I actually crochet), he feeds the dog, we drink coffee, we talk, hell, we even worked on a construction side project at the house today…complete with nail gun and sweat equity. It’s all so routine but in no way ordinary!  
Oh yes indeed. It appears that Andy and Dolly have become domesticated. And I couldn’t ask for anyone better to share the mundane, everyday life with than my own personal Andy. He makes it all so much better.

No comments:

Post a Comment